Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Superb Polz

Saturday evening and a quickly planned excursion to our local Bistro.
One guest is vegetarian so we had to be sure there was fish on the blackboard.


My wife also loves Dover Sole and they had it fresh. I chose the 'Zanderfilet (Pike Perch) and it was super.

I had been down into the celler earlier and 'found' I still had a bottle of the wine. Checking my notes over the past few years...it had never been less than
very good. Screwcap...so it was unscrewed a couple of hours before we left.



Polz Sauvignon Blanc Hochgrassnitzberg Reserve 2007
South Styria, Austria

What can I say...it was perfect. Like a hedgehog dressed up for a glitzy ball...soft spiky minerals with velvety cream...and very silky. The nose threw up raspberries...bananas...the gooseberries showed on the palate. Polz claims his top wines can age for 10 years. At 7 years old it seems he knows what he saying. The fatness of youth has been whittled away. I remember I had advised myself to rebuy and that is why I still had this bottle. Wise decision Barry....but I doubt it is still around to repeat.

Points 18




No comments: